If you have an asphalt shingle roof and want to install metal roofs over it and hence you ask, “Can you put metal roofing over shingles?” Then you have to read to the end to find out.
As metal roof grows in popularity, many people are turning to it for their roofing solutions. The reason is because of the longevity and durability not regularly found in other home building materials.
In many damp and moist climates, metal roofing provides a better choice than the usual shingle roofs. Sadly, many homeowners avoid investing in a metal roof because of the huge expenses.
Part of the significant expense of metal rooftops originates from establishing best practices. In general, detaching an asphalt shingle roof to put a metal roof can cause double the expenses.
For those who have had asphalt shingles over their head but consider switching to metal roofs and want to know, “Can you put metal roofing over shingles?”
Is it a good idea to have metal roofs over shingle roofs? In this article, I am going to break it down for you. It is good to have all the relevant information about such a big decision.
Can you Put Metal Roofing over Shingles?
The answer is YES yet this is not as straightforward as you think. It has its advantages and some difficulties that you have to consider when roofing.
One benefit of metal roofs over shingles has always been to avoid the cost of taking off shingles before fixing the metal.
On the other hand, they can be some complications if not done right.
Problems of Having Metal Roof Over Shingles
1) It can be difficult to inspect the roof frame or deck to see if every wood forming the frames is in good shape. In the case of wood rot, it becomes difficult to see.
2) Taking the shingles off allows the proper placing of the metal roof on the deck with the shingles on it becomes difficult. It can make the metal roof not well placed and appear bent.
3) One last concern is the metal roof lifespan when placed on shingles. Unless a roofer takes necessary care to protect the metal roof and scratch from the shingles on the metal roof can cause damage shortening the lifespan.
How to Put Metal Roofs over Shingles?
1. The metal roofs don’t just lie directly on the shingles. The roofer should support using furry boards with a consistent spacing, which could be 2 or 3 feet apart.
2. Metal edging is put around the roof’s perimeter.
3. Metal sheets are then placed on the frame and screwed appropriately 2 feet apart from each other. The next sheet overlaps the previous by an inch.
4. It’s time to fix trims along the roof’s edge. And to the roof’s top ridge, the roofer should bend the ridge to meet the sloping.
5. Finally, the roofer should apply adhesive to any hole on the metal roof so that water or any material doesn’t go in.
Cost of Installing Metal Roof on Shingles
The cost of installing metal roofs over shingles differs according to the area size of the roofing. It also comprises the roofer’s wages. Generally, you can expect a cost of $400 to $700 per square area for an average cost metal roof.
Whatever the case, one should look at the quality of the metals used and also hire experienced roofers.